fast copy mode exit

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: fast copy mode exit
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:22:38 +1000

Here's a bit of a curly:

Sometimes I run a long-running, many-lines-of-output command (eg.
apt-move sync) and so I enter copy mode to scroll up and see what's been
downloaded.

Then I hit <ESC> to exit copy mode.

Now, it takes four or five seconds displaying the message "Copy mode
aborted" before updating the screen with the actual/ current display
again.

When I don't have a runing command, I'd gotten used to hitting UpArrow
then DownArrow to force screen to display my screen more quickly.

Obviously, when I'm in the middle of a running command, this puts
spurious output into it's output, which is annoying.

I've searched the man page for "abort", "copy mode", "delay" and finally
"wait".

msgwait can be used to reduce the delay from its default of 5 seconds to
say 1 second.

But really what I want is to have a longer delay for "normal" messages,
and _no_ delay (ie. I don't care to read at all) for the "copy mode
aborted" message.

Is this possible?

Is this a good idea?

tia