Re: hardstatus backtick

From: Mikael Schönenberg
Subject: Re: hardstatus backtick
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 02:28:23 +0200

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 04:26:31PM -0500, Glen Smith wrote:

> Anybody got a clue as to what is wrong with my syntax on
> using the backtick on my hardstatus line? :
>
> hardstatus alwayslastline "%{+d wB}%D%C %s %a %`uname -sr` %{-d
> bw}%-w%{wB}%50>%n %t%{bw}%+w%<"
>
> It only prints the command literally

>From the docs on the backtick string escape:
 `      Substitute with the output of a 'backtick' command.  The length
        qualifier is misused to identify one of the commands.

Try putting the following two lines in your .screenrc:
backtick 42 0 0 uname -sr
hardstatus alwayslastline "%42`"

The first line creates a backtick command running 'uname -sr', and
giving it the numerical id 42.

The second line uses the string escape sequence for the backtick
command, "misusing the length qualifier" to indicate which backtick id
to use.

When you've got it working, reinstate all the other stuff in your
hardstatus line. Hope this helps :)

--
Mikael Schönenberg <address@hidden>