Re: screen as a login shell -- problems with scp

From: Phil!Gregory
Subject: Re: screen as a login shell -- problems with scp
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:49:13 -0400

* Derek Carter <address@hidden> [2004-09-16 17:59 -0600]:
> I was wondering if anyone else has even tried screen as a login shell,
> let alone seen this problem.

I played with screen as a login shell for a short whil.  It's not really a
good idea.  Many programs like to use your login shell in noninteractive
mode in order to do stuff (as you've found, scp is one of them), and
screen doesn't really do noninteractive very well.

My solution was to look at the problem differently.  What I really wanted
was to automatically attach to screen every time I logged in.  So I wrote
a wrapper script:

  http://aperiodic.net/phil/configs/attach-screen

and set up everything to call that.  (My xterm-launching command
automatically runs it; remote ssh automatically runs it, etc.)

--- --
                            umop apisdn 'sdoo