Re: root running screen as another user

From: Phil!Gregory
Subject: Re: root running screen as another user
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:02:24 -0400

* Gary Skowronek <address@hidden> [2004-09-21 18:32 -0500]:
> As user1, I can run this from a script and it works fine.
> screen -A -m -d -S MON_svr /usr/local/bin/svr_mon /var/log/foo 20100
>
> But, if I run the script as root and su to user1 it doesn't work.
> su -l user1 -c "screen -A -m -d -S MON_svr /usr/local/bin/svr_mon
> /var/log/foo 20100"

What error message do you get?

> How can I run the process using screen for multiple user accounts?

You might want to look at screen's multiuser support.  This allows you to
create the session as one user, say, root.  Then the other users can
connect to it with the syntax

  screen -r root/MON_svr

(Replace -r with -x if you need multi-attach, too.)

You do need to enable multiuser with the screen command 'multiuser on' and
then use the acl* commands to give the other users permissions in the
session.

--- --
Shadowfax.  Now there's a horse.  I bet he gets all the mares.
                       -- Ultra Violate, in a tribe.net post