Re: screen and ssh agents + agent forwarding

From: Michael Schroeder
Subject: Re: screen and ssh agents + agent forwarding
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:24:13 +0100

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 07:29:58PM -0800, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> I'd like end-users to discuss all of this, and figure out a good
> solution for this problem.  I believe that there can be framework added
> to GNU screen to alleviate this entire ordeal once and for all.

I don't think it makes sense to support ssh-agents outside of the
screen session, as you can't modify the environment of the shells
running in screen and thus screen would have to provide a kind
of forwarding machanism. But what happens if you reattach with
no ssh-agent? Or reattach multiple times with different ssh agents?

Therefore you should start the ssh-agent in screen so that it
doesn't die if you detach and use a fixed socket location.

Cheers,
  Michael.

--
Michael Schroeder           address@hidden