TTY, PWD, and other useful strings in hardstatus, shelltitle, etc

From: Peter Beckman
Subject: TTY, PWD, and other useful strings in hardstatus, shelltitle, etc
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 14:17:24 -0500 (EST)

I know it has been discussed many-a-time before (I've read the July 2004
thread in the archives), but I wanted to bring it up again to see if there
was any more movement within the development on it.

Jason White made a patch to 4.0.2 that creates %T asan escape code that
will echo the TTY.  Nice.  I'd love nothing more than to patch my code
on all of my servers!

So, I've spend the last 2 hours (instead of patching screen) trying to
figure out a way to set up the windowlist or window title to show the TTY
and/or the current working directory for that screen window.

I thought about writing the tty to a file and have a backtick command read
it, but then how to determine which file goes with which screen, and
furthermore how to determine if it is a single or multiple files!  Too bad
I couldn't do something like this:

    backtick 1 5 5 cat ~/.screen/win.$WINDOW.pwd
    backtick 2 5 5 cat ~/.screen/win.$WINDOW.tty

because I could write those files every time a new window was created...

I know I can use the escape codes in my prompt and put $TTY in there, but
then my prompt doesn't auto-update the command being run.

Any ideas that aren't as much as a hack?

Beckman
address@hidden                             http://www.purplecow.com/