Re: Can a program create a new window ?

From: Dan Mahoney, System Admin
Subject: Re: Can a program create a new window ?
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 10:18:23 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Nicolas Vigier wrote:

Dan Mahoney, System Admin said:
On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Michael C. Toren wrote:

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 07:25:30PM -0500, Phil!Gregory wrote:
it might not have had anything to do with the screen interface.

ircii (and epic, bitchx, and friends) create multiple windows using
the curses library; screen isn't involved in any way.  This is the
same way in which vim (":new") and emacs ("C-x 2") display multiple
windows, for example.

Actually, I recall reading about screen in an IRC manpage -- i.e. that
was  what prompted me to learn about it.

I don't recall which, this was years ago on the unix shell of a
now-defunct ISP, but I think there was some mention of it.

BitchX had a feature similar to screen, where you could detach your screen,
logout and come back later and get back to your bitchx session. But it
didn't use screen.

This was WAY pre-bitchx. I think it was ONE of the ircII's, but I'm not sure.

-Dan