Re: screen-256color terminfo entry?

From: cga2000
Subject: Re: screen-256color terminfo entry?
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 01:24:15 -0400

Thus spake Aaron Griffin on Tue, May 09, 2006 at 05:27:14PM -0500 or
thereabouts: <address@hidden> [2006-05-09 18:49]:
> On 5/8/06, cga2000 <address@hidden> wrote:
> >export TERM="xterm-256color"
> >
> >This saves me the trouble of having to set/export the TERM variable
> >manually every time I create a new screens.
>
> Sorry, but that's broken.  If you're inside screen, your TERM variable
> should be screen (or some derivative).  You are not running apps in
> xterm, you are running them in screen.

screen and xterm are reputedly vt100-compatible so using xterm-256color
is probably not such a bad choice as a temporary solution. I have been
running screen this way for over a week now and have not run into any
problems with messed up displays or such like.. or into anything
unpleasant that looked like it might be caused by setting the TERM
variable incorrectly. Even 256 colors work fine where I tested (vim &
mutt).

Naturally, and this is the main reason I subscribed to the list and
started this thread, I plan to use the correct terminfo entry as soon as
possible.

Thanks,

cga