screen in fullscreen on Mac OS X

From: Claus Atzenbeck
Subject: screen in fullscreen on Mac OS X
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 22:14:33 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,

I run Mac OS X (10.4.6). Screen (v4.00.02) and X11 preinstalled.

I would like to have a terminal full screen (i.e., without menu bar,
window, etc.)

This is what I did:

(1) I set X11 to full screen mode (not rootless)
(2) I changed "exec quartz-wm" in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc to:
    exec quartz-wm --only-proxy
    exec screen

(quartz-wm --only-proxy starts Apple's window manager in proxy mode. It
will not attempt to manage any display, but other features work, e.g.,
copy & paste.)

I expected to see screen starting and providing a fullscreen terminal.
However, I only see the grey X11 background and the cross cursor.
Nothing else.

Thanks for your input.
Claus