Re: screen with svgalib, etc.?

From: bmathis-screen
Subject: Re: screen with svgalib, etc.?
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 00:30:20 -0400

I'm no expert on this, but a pty is a "pseudo tty", that is, a fake one, and is what is used by pretty much anything that gives you a shell over a network. A real tty is directly attached via hardware to the computer. svgalib no doubt requires the ability to access direct hardware or somesuch to draw graphics on a tty, and only then a VGA one (serial terminal won't work). There's no way that screen could handle that situation. At that point you want remote X Windows.

Maybe NoMachine NX will better suit your purpose.

address@hidden wrote:
A lot of programs seem to have issues with the pts/*
terminals (/dev/pts/* ?) used by screen. One such would be
svgalib. Unfortunately, I've never really figured this
terminal screen stuff out.

Pointers?

- -- grok.