screen -X stuff

From: Martin Kammerlander
Subject: screen -X stuff
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 16:35:33 +0200

hi!

I have a script where I start a screen in detached mode like that:

screen -d -m java -jar program.jar --ui=console

now I noticed that when i want to send a command to the program running in the
detached screen like that:

screen -X stuff $'quit\n'

than it doesn't work.

It works when I reattach the screen: screen -r. Then the screen -X stuff comand
takes effect. When I reattach the screen once and deatach it afterwards, then
the screen -X command still works.

So at least I have to reattach the screen once for to get working the screen -X
stuff command also in detached mode.

Can someone tell me how I can use the screen -X stuff command without
reattaching the screen at least once?

greets
martin