Re: 256 colors

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: 256 colors
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:01:57 -0700

On 7/31/07, Peder Stray <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Robert Anderson wrote:

> On 7/31/07, Peder Stray <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> http://www.cs.rice.edu/~scrosby/software/tf256color/src/256colors2.pl
>>
>> well yes, but that doesn't really tell if screen actually supports
>> 256-colors does it?
>
> Either you see the 256 colors or you don't.  That answers your question:
> "How can i tell if the screen i am using really understands 256 colors
> or not?"

Well, no... it tells wheter screen thinks my terminal understands 256
colors or not by visual inspection.

With all due respect, a common sense reading of your question implies that you
want to know if you will see 256 colors if you give the proper instructions to show
them.  If you want to ask something more precise than that, "understands" is not
the word you should be using.