Self-contained split regions?

From: Thomas Adam
Subject: Self-contained split regions?
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 19:21:52 +0100

Hello all,

I'm wondering if there's a way to contain a splitted region to a
window.  Assume I have the following layout in screen (excuse my
drawings, I never was very good at art):

|                                                              |
|                                                              |
|-------------------------------------------------+
|                                                              |
|                                                              |
|-------------------------------------------------+
| 0 bash | 1 bash                                   |

What I would like (assuming I was in window 0) is, when I went to
window 1 none of the split screens were present.  I'd instead just get
the usual single region as I would had I created a new window with
^ac.

I like the idea of split regions, but I don't like the idea that once
a region has been split that it's now a persistent feature across all
windows.

Does that makes sense?  I hope so.

If it's not possible currently, what sort of changes would be involved
in making it happen?  I don't mind attempting a patch, I've not looked
at any of screen's internals yet.

-- Thomas Adam