backtick and chdir

From: david collins
Subject: backtick and chdir
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 22:12:52 +0000

Hi,

I have been using screen for about 4 months now and I cannot live without it
anymore!!

There is one thing that I would like to be able to do which I have attempted to
solve a few times and have searched here and google for - so far I haven't been
able to find anything. I would like to be able to open a new window (C-a C-c)
in the directory that I create the new window from.

What I have found so far has only been to put the pwd in the hardstatus line.
What I would like to do is something like the following:

backtick 1 5 5  cat $HOME/.screen/win.$WINDOW.pwd
chdir "%1`"

where win.$WINDOW.pwd contains the most recent directory that $WINDOW cd'd to.

But screen doesn't like this, it give an error:
%1`: No such file or directory

I can get a particular window to place its pwd in the required file easily
enough with a couple of lines in the .bash_prompt but I can't get the screen to
read the file or change the directory it uses.

Does anyone know how to do this?
tia
Who's friends with who and co-starred in what?
http://www.searchgamesbox.com/celebrityseparation.shtml