Strange lock problem under screen 4.00.02/03

From: Steve Phillips
Subject: Strange lock problem under screen 4.00.02/03
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:39:22 +1100

Hey there,

Intermittently, I have been experiencing a strange problem with screen locking up

Oft times, when this occurs, I have the following

screen - 1 = irc
screen - 2 = bash

however this is not 100% the case.

normally, when this happens, the irc session will freeze and yet the other windows continue to take input (CTRL+A still works indicating that the screen process itself is responding), however, when a ^AK is issued to the irc window, the screen process freezes completely.

Doing some further investigation into this, I tried to attach an strace to a number of processes

The irc process was stuck as follows..

address@hidden ~]# strace -p 28040
Process 28040 attached - interrupt to quit
write(1, " post by two media organisations"..., 83

the now hung bash process is stuck as follows..

address@hidden ~]# strace -p 15726
Process 15726 attached - interrupt to quit
waitpid(-1,

and the parent screen process to both of these sub processes is stuck as follows..

address@hidden ~]# strace -p 28012
Process 28012 attached - interrupt to quit
write(4, "[27m\33[K\33[40;1H\33[A\33[7m[Win: +1] {"..., 6538

Not knowing a huge amount as to how to track down the root cause of the lockup, I'll leave the processes stuck like this in the hope that someone can maybe send me some advice on how to track this down further, someone mentioned that it could be due to write buffers filling up and not being cleared in a timely fashion, could this be a screen bug or even a kernel bug ?

Linux version is..

Linux wibble.focb.co.nz 2.6.18-8.1.8.el5 #1 SMP Mon Jun 25 17:06:19 EDT 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

and the screen version is

address@hidden ~]# screen -v
Screen version 4.00.02 (FAU) 5-Dec-03

this was downloaded and compiled on this box after the previously installed version

address@hidden ~]# /usr/bin/screen -v
Screen version 4.00.03 (FAU) 23-Oct-06

exhibited the same problems.

The 4.00.03 version was the one supplied via RPM by the redhat distribution I am running.

address@hidden ~]# rpm -q screen
screen-4.0.3-1.el5

Any advice on how to proceed with this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Steve.