Screen and 256 Colors, again :)

From: Samer Atiani
Subject: Screen and 256 Colors, again :)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 20:08:09 -0400

Hello,

I'm trying to get screen working properly with 256 colors (mostly so I can
utilize my favorite VIM colorschemes), and so far I've done this successfully
except that I've lost the ability to display bright/bold colors on the screen.

I've configured my screenrc like this:

attrcolor b ".I"
termcapinfo xterm 'Co#256:AB=\E[48;5;%p1%dm:AF=\E[38;5;%p1%dm'
defbce "on"

An example of my problem: When I do 'ls' outside of screen, it would print each
directory in a bright blue color. I ran 'script' and then ls, and here is an
example of how it would output a directory called "etc":

^[[01;34metc^[[00m

Inside of screen, that same directory would be output like this:

^[[1m^[[38;5;4m^[[94metc^[[0m

How do I fix that? I notice if I screen did not print the leading ^[[1m (i.e.
just ^[[38;5;4m^[[94metc^[[0m) then highlighting would work ok.

I'm using the GNU screen supplied with ubuntu hardy heron 8.10 on a 32 bit
computer.

Thanks!
Samer