`open` command on Mac OS

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Subject: `open` command on Mac OS
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 16:42:34 -0500

Hi, this is going to be probably the n00best of newbie questions...
but I couldn't figure it out after considerable effort:

I'm running screen on Mac OS X in an X11 terminal window.  However,
when I use the Mac OS X shell command `open`, it doesn't open things
anymore.  For example, `open .` typically opens a Finder window (the
file manager window on Mac OS) in the current directory.

I use that damn command a lot and I can't seem to get it working in
screen (even defining aliases and such).  I must be missing something
big or obvious.

Thoughts? best, Joe

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
ACCURATE Postdoctoral Research Associate