Re: Problems with Growl notification

From: Tony Cebzanov
Subject: Re: Problems with Growl notification
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 01:15:07 -0400

Aaron Davies wrote:
> not to be non-responsive, but wouldn't it be a lot easier to use
> growlnotify or osascript to communicate with growl?

Sure, when the terminal session that's sending the notifications is on
my Mac, but I'm often SSHed into half a dozen different hosts running
other OSes.  I've seen references online to hacks where people use a
Perl module on, say, a Linux box to communicate with Growl, but then I
have to either maintain a SSH tunnel back from every host I connect to,
or leave a port wide open to receive growl notifications from any host,
which, while it would bring back some fun memories of computer lab
pranks involving Windows machines and NET SEND, wouldn't be very secure
or productive.

IMHO, the beauty of the control sequence solution is that it could be
used on any host I'm logged into, and all it would require would be
screen passing on the control sequence unaltered, or, to support
background notifications, picking up the control sequence from a
background screen window and replaying it to the terminal app.  Unless
I'm missing something...