Re: Summer of Code 2009

From: Rui Guo
Subject: Re: Summer of Code 2009
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 14:07:41 +0000

On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 23:56 -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> I'd love to be able to use it basically as a replacement for Expect.
> Being able to actually *see* what was going one whilst driving a
> full-screen application with a script would be *really* nice.

A great idea. We can definitely achieve similar functionality with
little difficulty. The problem is how to make it easy to use, since this
will not be the only use pattern. I'm not an expert of Expect, but I
think the core of it are the 'expect' and 'send' commands. The second
can be done even without scripting support, and thus should not be a
problem. The second is in fact an pattern matching event, which is
already in the schedule. However, the expect command is kind of a
special one-off version, which seems more handy in such a context.

However, there will be still some different with the original Expect. By
default, you can not tell which application is currently active in
screen. This means that there may be no process handling support built
in. One will need to use the mechanism provided by the embedded
scripting language (does LUA provide this functionality?) after spawning
a new application in a new window. Also, I currently have no clear idea
of how to support debugging. Can I assume it's less important?

Rui