Re: Multiple Screen FAQ's

From: Juergen Weigert
Subject: Re: Multiple Screen FAQ's
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 14:15:49 +0200

On May 30, 09 11:14:31 -0700, Adam Lazur wrote:
> Dan Mahoney, System Admin (address@hidden) said:
> > As I'm more a user and less a coder, could someone tell me if any of
> > those  entries are obvious old news?
>
> Q: Is screen year 2000 compliant?
>
> but I bet you got that one ;)
>
> Q: Why is it impossible to download a file with Kermit/sz/rz when screen
> is running? Do I need to set some special variables?
>
> That one seems to be ancient ... or maybe I'm just too young?

That is a 20+ years old entry.
Being obviously much older than Adam, I'd say it gives some insight
in how screen could interfere with other applications in an unexpected way.
Not sure if the named applications are still around or got replaced by
something else that should be named here. Minicom?

Q:      I cannot configure screen. Sed does not work.
refers to an ancient sed version. Obsolete.

> You could probably also drop some of the q's that apply to a version
> older than ... 3.9.5 maybe?
>     Q: The 'logdir' command no longer works. Why this?
>
> All of "Compiler woes"
>
> Q: Screen compiles fine but when you try to start it you get: InitPty:
> cannot I_PUSH ptem: Invalid argument
>
> You could probably shuffle a bunch of the SunOS and other OS items into
> a section called "Archaic operating systems support" :)

Oh my. I remember all this suffering back in the nineties. E.g.

Q:      display.o(.text+0xafe): undefined reference to `xtputs'

Q:      Screen compiles fine but when you try to start it you get:
        InitPty: cannot I_PUSH ptem: Invalid argument

definitly have only historic/entertainment value.
Zap as much of it, as you like.
Please note, there is also src/doc/FAQ in the screen source, which a bit
out of sync with the html version you found.

        thanks,
                JW-

--
 o \  Juergen Weigert      unix-software __/ _=======.=======_