Re: Additional quotes in the command prompt in screen.

From: Srirang Doddihal
Subject: Re: Additional quotes in the command prompt in screen.
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 18:52:22 +0530

Hi all,

I got this issue resolved. The solution is here : http://mg.pov.lt/blog/bash-prompt.html

As it might be apparent by now, I got the initial idea from : http://www.davidpashley.com/articles/xterm-titles-with-bash.html

And today after many searches with keywords containing GNU-Screen (and several related ones) I got the solution by searching for david pashley. :)

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Srirang Doddihal <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

I am fairly new to GNU-Screen. During the course of customizing screen I got to know about setting the window title from a program. To that effect I have this code in my .bashrc

# If this is an xterm set the title to address@hidden:dir
# If we are in screen then set the screen title to command being run.
case "$TERM" in
xterm*|rxvt*)
    PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]0;address@hidden: ${PWD}\007"'
    ;;
screen)
    trap 'echo -ne "\033k$BASH_COMMAND\033\\"' DEBUG
    PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "address@hidden:${PWD}\033\\"'
    ;;
*)
    ;;
esac

With this the window title is being set properly, but I am seeing extra quotes in my command prompt. It looks like this now : "address@hidden:~$

Notice the double quote at the beginning. If I clear the screen with Ctrl + L, the additional quote does not appear. After that if I press the Enter key or at the end of a command execution when the prompt returns, the quote comes again.

I could not figure out where it is coming from. It is not a big thing functionality wise, but it is some what irritating. So any help to get a proper command prompt will be very helpful.

To add to the weirdness when I first start screen I have two more additional quotes before the prompt (one double and one single). The prompt looks like this : " ' "address@hidden:~$

Here are the contents of my .screenrc

# don't display the copyright page
startup_message off
defscrollback 10000
# fix scrollback in putty
termcapinfo xterm* ti@:te@
vbell off
hardstatus on
hardstatus alwayslastline
hardstatus string "%{.bW}%-w%{.rW}%n %t%{-}%+w %=%{..G} %H %{..Y} %m/%d %C%a "

I am using GNU bash, version 3.2.39(1)-release (i486-pc-linux-gnu) on Ubuntu -  Ubuntu 8.04 -  Hardy Heron.

Thank you.

PS : I am not subscribed to this mailing list. So kindly include my email id in the replies.

--
Regards,
Brahmana.

The LIGHT shows the way.