Scrolling performance in vertical split-screen mode - screen vs. tmux

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Scrolling performance in vertical split-screen mode - screen vs. tmux
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 18:37:46 -0400

I was evaluating tmux over the weekend and though I'm not prepared to
switch any time soon, I couldn't help but notice that tmux's scrolling
in vertical split screen mode is both very fast and devoid of the
annoying artifacts & flickering that I see in gnu/screen.

I fact, with tmux, you can split the screen 3-4 times each way and the
scrolling doesn't slow down and remains visually just as smooth as if
there were only one "window".

In both cases, I am running screen & tmux on top of a 256-color capable
xterm, with TERM='screen-256color'.

Does this mean that tmux sacrifices something else, or could the tmux
code/solution be be adapted to screen?

CJ