Re: Scrolling performance in vertical split-screen mode - screen vs. tmu

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re: Scrolling performance in vertical split-screen mode - screen vs. tmux
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 00:54:55 -0400

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 02:58:58AM EDT, Micah Cowan wrote:

[..]

I believe I forgot to mention that the "slowness" and "flickering" does
not occur in the rightmost pane. In other words, if I split the screen
down the middle, start a shell, and issue a pstree command in the right
pane, the screen is displayed tolerably fast as compared with the same
pstree command run in the left pane where the scrolling is atrociously
slow.

You may already be aware of this, and you may also have some idea why
this is happening but there seems to be a pattern: even if you split the
screen further down the middle and have for instance four "vertical"
panes, the one further to the right will scroll a lot faster than the
other three.

In any event, this means that a workable strategy for the time being, is
to make sure that any screen window that you will use to run something
that has demonstrated problems with scrolling is always in the rightmost
pane. I've tried it with gdb in the left pane and any other stuff that I
needed to take a look at always in the right pane and this worked quite
well.

Also leads me to wonder is this is xterm-specific or if the same problem
also occurs when running on top of other emulators.

As I said earlier, I won't be able to do much in the way of intelligent
testing, and even less figure out what is happening and try to provide a
fix, but I'll keep an eye open and document what I see, in the event it
might be useful.

CJ