Defunct processes left behind (but strangely only under X)

From: Ciprian Dorin, Craciun
Subject: Defunct processes left behind (but strangely only under X)
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 17:43:28 +0300

    Hello all!

    I have the following weird problem: when using screen under either
xterm or urxvt, after closing screens I see the previous bash
processes in `defunct` state. (This doesn't happen when running under
the Linux console.)

    I've tried to do strace on `SCREEN` process `strace -p <PID> -e
trace=process`, it seems that under X, screen doesn't issue any wait
call.

    Any ideas?

    My setup (ArchLinux with latest software), and `Screen version
4.00.03 (FAU) 23-Oct-06`

    Thanks,
    Ciprian.

    P.S.: I suspect that this is from Xorg, because something similar
happens with FireGPG.