Re: Copy-scrollback mode -- VIsual feedback in window caption?

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re: Copy-scrollback mode -- VIsual feedback in window caption?
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 03:24:20 -0500

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 01:28:50AM EST, Alexander Steinert wrote:
> Chris Jones, Tue 2009-12-15 23:45 CET:

> > Maybe the new feature was not necessary after all, since it's quite
> > possible to acquire the habit of hitting '^A m' when coming back to
> > one's screen session, as in "now, let's see.. where was I"..
>
> Note that lastmsg does not necessarily refer to the window that is
> currently selected.

Ah, good point..!

I wondered about that after posting, but I was already in bed and by the
morrow I had forgotten about it.

> ^G is much more helpful, IMHO, assuming that you don't have an
> application running where that could be "harmful".

I agree.. although I can't think of any applications I run on a regular
basis taking 'g' as a command, apart from ELinks, where it pops up a
dialog prompting you for a URL, it feels like an accident to happen.

Unless you go through all your favorite applications and remap 'g' to
displaying a message such as "no.. you are not in screen's copy mode",
naturally :-)

CJ