Reattaching

From: 1 . 41421
Subject: Reattaching
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 18:31:39 +0000

I run a combination of screen and autossh to open terminal emulators on a remote box R. Occasionally, be by accident or by design, my local box L gets rebooted. When this happens, on bringing L up again I would like to retrieve my screen/autossh terminal emulators running on R. This is easy enough: First I ssh from L into R; in this ssh session I do screen -list to obtain the list of detached screens in R; I finally reattach to the screen session I want by means of exec screen -x id, where id is the id of the target screen session, as printed out by screen -list.

Although this recovers my detached session all right, the problem is that in R I will now have two screen sessions for each screen session I reattach to. Is there a simple way to reattach without incurring in this drawback?