Re: Intermittent problem stuffing commands to screen

From: Sadrul Habib Chowdhury
Subject: Re: Intermittent problem stuffing commands to screen
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 01:44:22 -0500

* Clint had this to say on [23 Feb 2010, 10:30:42 -0500]:
> Greetings,
>
> We have a startup script which creates a screen with about a dozen
> consoles and as part of that script we send commands to each of the
> console using the "stuff" syntax like so:
>
>       screen -S services -p "$1" -X eval 'stuff "cd '$1'\015"'
>
> We are finding that this script doesn't work all the time.  The script
> will execute to the end, but sometimes certain commands executed with
> stuff just seem to be ignored, like they never got stuffed to the
> screen :)
>
> Has anyone ever had any experience with an issue like this?  Any
> insight would greatly be appreciated.

I remember some issue similar to this. I do not remember the exact
details, but I think there was some race where the '-X' command was sent
before the new window was created, which means it gets ignored. More
details on how your entire script works might be helpful.

Also, in this specific example, are you aware of the 'chdir' command in
screen?

Cheers.
Sadrul