Re: multiple child windows for screen

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re: multiple child windows for screen
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 13:38:51 -0400

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 12:50:53PM EDT, rufino wrote:

> hi experts:

er.. that would be me.. right..?  ;-)

> i am newbie for screen. is there a way to open, say, two or three
> screen session simultaneously on one display?

> at work, we do ssh to remote jump station. from the shell, i fire up
> screen sessions and toggle sessions with "ctr+n" or something like
> that. i would like to have few sessions opened on my 24' monitor
> simultaneously. is that possible?

Do you mean something like:

| % screen -S sockname
| % screen -x sockname -X 'split'
| % screen -x sockname -X 'split -v'
| % screen -x sockname -X 'focus down'
| % screen -x sockname -X 'split -v'

.. where ‘sockname’ is the name you give to your screen session at
startup .. such as ‘session1’.. or whatever..¹

For details, see:

| % man screen
| % info screen
| % screen --help

CJ

¹ The above does it remotely, targeting an already-running screen
  session, but naturally, you could stick the same commands in your
  ~/.screenrc, like so:

  | screen -S sockname
  | split
  | split -v
  | focus down
  | split -v

  .. and you will have four sub-windows immediately after you fire up
  screen

--
WHAT YOU SAY??