invoking <enter> in screen binding

From: Eric Smith
Subject: invoking <enter> in screen binding
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 14:23:23 +0200

I have the following binding which works as I want it to.
bind E eval copy 'stuff G' 'stuff Y' 'readreg q' colon 'stuff "!  command_foo
"' ' paste "q^M"' '"^M"'

The command prints out on the screen "exrc" line with the
argumant pasted from the screen buffer `q'.
My problem is that I cannot make this command submit with a
carriage return or enter despite the attempts you see with
a cntrl-V <enter>

Any clues as to how I can get the command to submit with the
binding?

Eric