redraw screen (with scrollback history buffer)

From: Michael Grant
Subject: redraw screen (with scrollback history buffer)
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 10:25:14 +0000

I defscrollback to 2000 and have a putty window with 2000 lines of scrollback.

I would like a way to get screen to redraw the full 2000 lines of scrollback (with color and other highlighting!) on command.

Currently I have a sort of kludge to do this writing a hardcopy file and then execing a script to spit back out the hardcopy file, but it doesn't capture the color or highlighting.

Is there some built-in way to do this?  I couldn't find one myself.

Maybe there should be an additional option to the hardcopy command to output the current escape sequences to set the color?

Or better yet, a built-in command to redraw the screen and the scrollback buffer.  Or an option to the redisplay command to also refill he scrollback buffer?

It would be nice if there were an option to get screen to redraw the scrollback buffer each time you switched to a screen.  I know this could cause some intense flashing issues but for small scrollback buffers (a few hundred lines or so), on fast lines, this should be quite minimal.