Re: Migrating scrollback buffer/history?

From: tilt
Subject: Re: Migrating scrollback buffer/history?
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 04:29:10 +0200

Jim Mahood wrote on 10/07/2015 at 02:18 CEST:
On Jul 9, 2015 3:54 PM, "Konstantin Svist" <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
 > Is there any way of migrating the scrollback buffer from one window to
 > another?
 > I see there's a way to copy the buffer, but is there a way to paste it
 > (so that it doesn't paste to the command line)?

At the risk of stating the obvious... if you don't want to paste to the
command line, paste to something else.  :-)  For example, copy the
entire scrollback buffer in window 1 (hint, vi-like movement commands
work like G and gg) run cat in window 2, paste, ctrl-c to terminate
cat.  Now window 2 has those contents in its scrollback buffer.

If the terminal supports it (xterm and PuTTY do), one can also
use the scrollback buffer of the terminal instead of the Screen
one. [1] describes how this can be configured and also explains
the  technical background.

With described terminal capabilities tweak enabled, line output
from all windows accumulates in one single scrollback buffer
(the one of the terminal) which could be scrolled through using
Shift-PageUp/Down or the mousewheel.

Personally, I would not want this behavior for the stuff I do
because I find it confusing, but I don't know your scenario.

Regards,
Tilman

[1] GNU Screen FAQ. URL: http://aperiodic.net/screen/faq
Question: "How do I get screen to put things into my terminal's
scrollback?"