How does screen find the octal values of a key when one is set in 'bind'

From: David Woodfall
Subject: How does screen find the octal values of a key when one is set in 'bind'?
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 17:01:18 +0000

I am wondering if screen somehow finds the key code via the hardware
or keyboard driver, or if just looks up the value of whatever
character is produced.

Situation:

I have 3 keys next to the media keys that only produce a ^@ NUL
character in cat.
showkey gives me different values for each key though.
I tested with one which produced 144 in showkey.
Converting it to octal gives \220.

So I did

bind \220 exec /usr/bin/mocp -G

It doesn't work.

I'm guessing that screen only looks at the actual character produced
(in this case ^@ NUL) and looks up the number for that, and doesn't
do what I would like - i.e. look at what number the keyboard driver
outputs in the same way that showkey does.

--

The misnaming of fields of study is so common as to lead to what might
be general systems laws.  For example, Frank Harary once suggested the