security-discuss

Re: [security-discuss] gnuradio project DoS attacks GNU wget users

From: Daniel Wilkins
Subject: Re: [security-discuss] gnuradio project DoS attacks GNU wget users
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 17:36:18 -0500

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 05:23:41PM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
> I found that I could access gnuradio.org through Tor using
> our IceCat browser with LibreJS active.

It will depend on what tor exit node you're using:
cloudflare is a provider who puts a proxy between
users and your servers in order to prevent bots from
connecting. If a tor exit node has a history of bot
activity then it will be marked as possibly malicious
by the cloudflare network and require you to fill in a
captcha, which is a simple task which requires non-free
javascript.

You can see a similar effect without using tor if a computer
on your network is part of a botnet, then your IP will be seen
as spammy and you'll be forced to go through the captcha.