security-discuss

Re: [security-discuss] gnuradio project DoS attacks GNU wget users

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [security-discuss] gnuradio project DoS attacks GNU wget users
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 17:56:16 +0300

On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 03:17:51PM +0100, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> Alfred M. Szmidt said:
>
> >    That is lack of police at the GNU project.
> >
> > That is a good thing.
>
> It's only a good thing when police are not needed.
>
> I also think Jean Louis was using "police" loosely, perhaps to also
> mean lack of /legislators/ using feedback to make adjustments when
> shit happens.  No one expected a GNU project to conduct itself in such
> a freedom-hostile manner, so the lack of legal framework to handle
> this is understandable.

It was expected to be "policy", not police. The legislator is the GNU
project, and there are already good references like GNU maintainter
manual, but who can think of anything that happens in future.

Under the Speech section, it says, one should not promote the other
companies. Reference:
https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Interviews-and-Speeches

"Please don’t include advertisements or plugs for any company, product
or service. Even if the product would meet the standards for the FSF
to endorse it, an ad for it is out of place in a presentation about a
GNU package. Likewise, please don’t include company slogans. Mention a
company only when called for by the subject matter. "

That should apply to hosting, such as Cloudflare, or Github, as they
are hosting for their own purposes and means. Users' attention is to
move to advertising, to non-free software, they will use non-free
javascript, and be faced with advertising to iPhone such as non-free
hardware.

That it opposite to teaching the users about free software. Unspoken
of the misleading "open source" references on such websites.

Well that similar policy (not police) shall be adopted for official
GNU software, and again, it is simply easiest to have a mirror of the
software on GNU websites, regardless where is the original website
located.

I don't see really the problem to mirror or copy prominently the
information about software on GNU website, as just the minority of GNU
software is hosted elsewhere.

Jean Louis