security-discuss

Re: [security-discuss] gnuradio project DoS attacks GNU wget users

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [security-discuss] gnuradio project DoS attacks GNU wget users
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2017 11:08:26 -0500

  > even any browser more advanced than curl or wget), you would have
  > noticed that those links are part of the dropbox which itself is
  > part of the search field.

The use of Dropbox is a possible concern.  What job is Dropbox being
used for, here?  Can you tell me where in the pages to find that?

  > There is absolutely no way to make that functionality without javascript,

Nothing can justify sending users nonfree JS code, but it is
acceptable for a GNU package web site to send Javascript code provided
that code is free.  It is best if the site does function with JS
disabled (it's ok if that is ugly; ugly is better than
malfunctioning).

Can someone please tell me precisely where in the site this Javascript
code appears?  Does it visibly carry a free license?  Is it
distributed as true source code?

    The searchbox is the standard doxygen's searchbox which implements
    documentation search in javascript to avoid having to have a search engine
on
    the server. So, if you don't like that searchbox, go to doxygen.org and
tell
    them.

You're saying that this Javascript code has somehing to do with
doxygen.org.  What is the relationship between this Javascript code
and doxygen.org?  Those words suggest multiple possibilities.

--
Dr Richard Stallman