security-discuss

Re: [security-discuss] Freedom 0: the utilitarian vs. the deontologist

From: Anonymous
Subject: Re: [security-discuss] Freedom 0: the utilitarian vs. the deontologist
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2017 11:38:27 +0000 (UTC)

Alfred M. Szmidt said:

> The GNU Radio foundation isn't stopping anyone from downloading GNU
> Radio.

This was never claimed.

This is why quoting is important.

>      scenario 2) GCC is inherently capable of Lisp compilation
>                  because all the working machinery for that is
>                  already there for whatever reason.  But there is a
>                  line of code saying "if lisp_code_found then
>                  abort".
>
> And since it is free software, you can simply recompile it with
> lisp-code-found set to nil.

Please read the whole message you are replying to before writing.  Or
when you get to the bottom and realize you've said something
irrelevant, please scroll up and edit.  In this case, the very next
quote renders your comment above moot.

>    In the case of GNU Radio Foundation, Inc., freedom 1 is useless
>    for changing the code that executes on the server of CloudFlare,
>    Inc.
>
> Cloudfare is not your computer.  If you wish to run GNU radio, you
> can do so on your own computer since GNU radio is free software.

You're talking about something other than the problem I described in
the quote.  Please read this article:

  https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html

It gives some fundemental info on the problem of not controlling what
runs on someone elses server.

>    which discriminately blocks some users from reaching the
>    documentation.
>
> Simply untrue, as has been shown by several list members.

Citation needed.

For infosec matters, we prove something is secure by showing a lack of
compromise given an effort to compromise.  What's "simply untrue" is
in fact your statement above.  None of the blocking instances I've
demonstrated have been challenged.  And how could they, these are
matters of fact.  Try this: Pick just one of the blocking scenarios I
reported, and then quote some text showing proving that it's not a
block.  Start with this one:

https://entp-tender-production.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/3e9d7001fcc0dae367198e8a815204317db43320/anki_nongui.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAISVUXXOK32ATONEQ&Expires=1800510383&Signature=0l1hqGIHAdagtNzBGUWJo7PldeM%3D

How is that not blocking?

--
Please note this was sent anonymously, so the "From:" address will be unusable.