security-discuss

Re: [security-discuss] Freedom 0: the utilitarian vs. the deontologist

From: Nomen Nescio
Subject: Re: [security-discuss] Freedom 0: the utilitarian vs. the deontologist
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 21:53:00 +0100 (CET)

Alfred M. Szmidt said:

>    That it works on your side, it means not it works on someone's
>    else side.
>
> Indeed, and we are not required to make it work for everyone.

You've misunderstood the problem.  It's not that GNU Radio Foundation,
Inc. is not taking actions to make something work, it's that GRFI has
taken actions to break something that was working.  They have
"stopped" tor wget users from making use of freedom 0.

> But as it happens, it does work, so any claims to GNU wget and Tor
> not working for downloading GNU radio is simply untrue.

Your claim is simply wrong, and it's been proven.  Svetlana has been
mislead.  Tor users are still blocked.

>    That is not a proof that you have used Tor,
>
> What kind of proof would you like?  Several people on this list have
> reported that it works for them too.

Then post some links to such claims so there is some tracability to
the evidence (evidence I know doesn't exist, but the failed attempt at
tracability will further show that).

>    and overall, there are many Tor exits, which are treated different,
>    unjustified, by Cloudfront.
>
> I suggest you direct your complaints about Cloudfare to Cloudfare,
> How about you do the same, and talk
> to Cloudfare if it doesn't work?

Jean Louis isn't a party to the CloudFlare contract for gnuradio.org
service.  CloudFlare has no obligation to speak to him about service
on that contract.  GNU Radio Foundation, Inc. holds that contract.  It
is GRFI, and only GRFI, that can compel action or support from
CloudFlare, Inc. wrt gnuradio.org.

Feel free to contact CF yourself.  It'll be pissing in the wind.  The
best answer you'll get will tell you that GRFI needs to whitelist
Tor.

> Svetlana noted that any issues with Tor have been fixed.  I can only
> confirm that this works for me.

Svetlana was misinformed, and she passed the misinfo along.  It works
for you because you're doing it wrong.

--
Please note this was sent anonymously, so the "From:" address will be unusable.