security-discuss

Re: [security-discuss] CloudFlare, not good choice

From: Anonymous
Subject: Re: [security-discuss] CloudFlare, not good choice
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 12:33:29 -0500 (EST)

Alfred M. Szmidt said:

>    We speak of hosting service. It is very realistic to put GNU software
>    on GNU servers and have it available for everyone.
>
> It isn't realistic at all, we are a volunteer organisation, we
> cannot provide everything for everyone.

Being a charity org actually supports Jean's point.

If you had paying customers, then you would only have a duty to
selectively serve those clients exclusively.  Being entrusted by the
public (who donates time and money to the project for societal
benefit) creates a duty to the public as a whole.

Taking that public resource for which the public has given charitable
support, and jailing it in a private and exclusive corporate
walled-garden is a betrayal of the public trust.

>From a technical standpoint, it's also wrong to say you cannot serve
people whome you've proactively denied access to, who had access
before the block was introduced.  You can only use the "it's
impossible" excuse when a offline third-world tribal community is
asking for access that would then entail a need for more resources.
Jean isn't asking for non-existent resources, he's asking for fair and
sensible use of resources that already exist.

--
Please note this was sent anonymously, so the "From:" address will be unusable.