security-discuss

Re: [security-discuss] Freedom 0: the utilitarian vs. the deontologist

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [security-discuss] Freedom 0: the utilitarian vs. the deontologist
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 00:09:57 -0500

  > Of course it does.  It's already been established that "stopping"
  > someone using wget in the manner they want suppresses freedom 0.

The word "stopping" is so vague, covering so many disparate
situations, that nothing meaningful can be said about it.

  > > You want to download from gnuradio.org using wget.

  > Not just that.  I want to download from gnuradio.org using wget to
  > proxy over Tor.

You are free to run wget to try to do this -- that is what freedom 0
means.

Whether it achieves the results you desire is another question.
Freedom 0 does not say anything about that.  Just because a program is
free, that does not guarantee that you can successfully do any
particular job with it.

--
Dr Richard Stallman