simulavr-devel

Re: [Simulavr-devel] repositories

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] repositories
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 13:46:44 -0700

On Tue Sep 29 14:47 , Onno Kortmann  sent:

>Regarding the 'template stuff' (from your other post): I thought that it was
>giving the most abstract view and the most reduction in code size and I also
>have the opinion that in 2009, one ought to use templates if it makes sense.
>Compilers should support them. ...

Templates are tricky. Supporting them is not the same as supporting them well.
That said, I think there are at least two cases where trickiness is not an
issue:
It's a class template and all methods are inlined.
Explicit instantiation is practical and non-annoying.
I think yours qualify under the former and mine under the latter.

>...                            I am somewhat flexible in my opinion here, but
>I think that a possible replacement of the template stuff should be at least
>as concise and clear as mine is IMHO :-)
>And it replaces A LOT of redundant code and creates a central point to attach
>tracing probes to the I/O parts of the simulator.

I remember being dubious about this, but I can look at it again.
Removing redundant code is important.
Code that isn't there doesn't need testing.

--
Michael Hennebry
address@hidden