sketch-devel

Re: None

From: Bernhard Reiter
Subject: Re: None
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 13:31:36 +0100

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 11:06:50AM -0800, Mark Rose wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 05:45:14PM +0000, matthias entenmann wrote:
> > > What is still missing to make sketch a _real_ drawing program is the
> > > implementaion of a multiline text object. Over a year ago, Mark Rose
> > > posted a solution which is (at least in my eyes) great. However, it is
> > > still not included in sketch (what I don't really understand).
> >
> > Christof Ecker's multiline text object is part of sketch since 0.6.13.
> > This should not keep anybody from trying Mark's work, though. :)
> >
> > Quite some work is needed to make a better multiline text
> > integration for sketch 0.7.x, too.
> > AFAIK Mark is helping with 0.7.x development.
> > He contributed good dialogs for editing properties and color
> > selection for 0.7.10.
>

> Ok, I thought my ears were burning.

Is that good or bad? :)

I just wanted to get the message out that your (good) work
mainly is for 0.7.x and that you did help with other stuff for 0.7.x
apard from the multiline text, too. Which I think was great!

> I'm not actively involved in any Sketch development at this time, or in
> the foreseeable future.  I need to use Sketch a lot less often at work now,
> so I don't have such a strong motivation to add features.  That, and all my
> free time is committed to other projects.

Sad to hear, sketch can need more good help.
What would be need to win you back? ;-)

> I felt that I left the patches for the textbox code in a fairly complete
> state.  Saving and loading was one conspicuous omission, because there was
> resistance at the time to modifying Sketch's file format.  The argument,
> if I recall correctly, was that any changes would need to be supported
> perpetually, and that Bernhard wasn't ready to commit to that.  I think he
> also had reservations about the internal implementation of the textbox,
> which required some small but fundamental changes to the core of Sketch.
> Of course things may look different a year later, I don't know.

Thanks for clarifying this.
Bernhard does not habe much time for sketch currently
so the fact that your work for the textbox might not be fully
included yet stems more from the lack of time than
the quality of your contribution.

If sketch is useful for you, consider tipping the project:
               http://sketch.sourceforge.net/payments.html