sketch-devel

Re: Preliminary cut/copy/paste

From: Bernhard Herzog
Subject: Re: Preliminary cut/copy/paste
Date: 28 Dec 2002 21:56:07 +0100

Ralf Engels <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
> this is the first shot at cut/copy/paste for the developer  version.
> One Problem I noticed: You copy a list of objects but neighter the clipboard
> nor other functions are able to handle list of objects gracefully.

The clipboard only supports one object. In Sketch 0.6 you can copy
multiple objects because they're put into a group first.

> Anyway, here is the patch.

Thanks. The changes are in the right place, but they don't work properly
yet. Objects placed into the clipboard have to be separated from the
document object properly. At the very least they should be copies of the
obejcts actually in the document. Otherwise modifying a copied object
modifies the object in the clipboard too.

The best approach would be to copy the CopyForClipboard method (and the
related methods) from Sketch 0.6's EditDocument class to Sketch 0.7's
InteractiveDocument and use that to get the object to put into the
clipboard.

> By the way. Are you all on holliday?

Probably :)

> +    # to think about... can we undo set operations to clipboard.

No. I don't know any program that does, so I don't think Sketch should
do that. The clipboard is a separate entity from the document.
Performing an Undo on the document should not affect the contents of the
clipboard.

> emacs does not so what should we do?

What emacs has, though, is the "kill ring" and something similar would
perhaps be useful in Sketch too. The kill ring is basically a list of
text fragments that have been cut or copied from a text. The clipboard
as used in Sketch is only the most recent item in that list and there
are commands to paste an older item or to add newly copied/cut text to
the clip-board/most recent kill ring item.

In Sketch this sort of thing might be useful as well, together with a
new dialog that show the contents of the "kill ring"/clipboard so that
the user can easily select a particular one.

   Bernhard

--
Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/
Sketch                                 http://sketch.sourceforge.net/