sketch-devel

Tinkering with sketch as module

From: Terry Hancock
Subject: Tinkering with sketch as module
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 07:12:26 -0500

Hi all,
As you may recall, we had a discussion on the list about
making a sketch gallery, and I suggested that I might be
able to do it in Zope with VarImage (write a rendering
layer for VarImage so the source "image" can actually be a
vector graphic .sk file).  I'm guessing that once I do
this, I can go on to support .fig, .svg, and anything else
Sketch has a loader for.

Well, I'm actually getting around to trying it...

And as this is really the first time I've messed with using
sketch as a python module (BTW -- is it going to remain the
"Sketch" module and the "Skencil" application, or are both
names changing?), I have some newbie questions.

What the heck does this code do:

for dir in ('Lib', 'Filter', 'Pax'):
    dir = os.path.join(sys.path[0], dir)
    if os.path.isdir(dir):
        sys.path.insert(1, dir)

?

As I read it, it will generally have no effect at all --
it's adding "./Lib", "./Filter", and "./Pax" to the Python
path if they exist?  But of course, they usually won't,
since we're looking for them (I think) in the current
directory.  It seems to be in all the scripts, so it seems
like it might be necessary, but I don't understand why. I'm
wondering if I'm missing something clever.

Also, what's the prognosis on getting Sketch to work with
two python installations (Python 2.1 and 2.3)?  Do I need
to do a separate installation of sketch for each?  I'm
guessing so, since the .so files won't be compatible.

Finally, can sketch be made to install like a regular python
module -- such as might be desireable on a server, where
I'm only interested in using it for conversions?  And if I
do this, can I trim some library dependencies -- the server
might not have TK or GTK libs and stuff if it is normally
run headless.

Cheers,
Terry