sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] details to configure SKS https web interface

From: David Shaw
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] details to configure SKS https web interface
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 09:52:36 -0400

On Mar 8, 2009, at 3:50 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

On 03/07/2009 09:37 PM, David Shaw wrote:
On Mar 7, 2009, at 7:30 PM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

We also are listening on port 11372 because this seems to be the choice of gnupg maintainers for hkp-over-tls (hkps?), according to this recent
(as yet unreleased) patch to gpg:

http://cvs.gnupg.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/branches/STABLE-BRANCH-1-4/keyserver/gpgkeys_hkp.c?root=GnuPG&rev=4924&r1=4878&r2=4924

I wrote that patch, and I picked 11372 simply because it was 11371+1.
If someone feels a different port would be better, let's talk about it. The code hasn't been released yet, so it's very easy to change (it will
get harder to change once there is a release).

I didn't mean to imply that i had any objection to it -- it seems
reasonable to me, and in keeping with what seems to be the dominant
practice in a lot of scenarios on today's network.  I couldn't find a
parallel patch in the gpg2 codebase. Do you plan on a similar approach
there?

Oh, no worries about objections. I was just stating a fact: I made up the port number. If you have a better one, I genuinely want to know so I can use it.

The same code will (more or less) apply to gpg2. Most of the changes I make are for both code bases, but I usually work on gpg1 then batch up my changes onto gpg2. I have to find a spare few hours and do the code integration.

* SKS would need to be able to switch to TLS using the Upgrade: mechanism.

* gpg would need to be able to initiate an upgrade, and gpg users would
need to be able to configure gpg to indicate that non-upgraded HKP
sessions should be rejected. (this would protect against MITM
session-downgrade attacks that strip out the upgrade request/response
traffic)

GPG does have the necessary concepts for this. There is already code for handling such a TLS upgrade in the LDAP handler, as well as various levels of upgrade enforcement (don't try / try but fail quietly / try but fail loudly / require upgrade). The problem is that RFC 2817 never really caught on for one reason or another. Apache supports it, but offhand, I don't know of any clients that do, including libcurl which is what GPG generally uses for HKP keyserver support.

We may end up with "hkps" on port 11372 just for lack of support for doing anything else.

David