sks-devel

[Sks-devel] dump advice?

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: [Sks-devel] dump advice?
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 02:45:14 -0700

I can now dump keys without segfaults (thanks, Kim).  I have some
questions for people who generate dumps already.

I've been shutting down sks db & recon while dumping; in practice, do
people find that "sks dump" is safe to run while the db is running?

If I want to switch sks to using one of my own dumps as the base,
instead of the dumps I downloaded some time ago, what's involved in
cutting over?  Do I need to "sks fastbuild" again, or is there a way to
switch over the dump directories and then discard the entries from the
KDB which are now on disk?  If I've shut down sks, done a dump, can I
just remove KDB (leaving PTree) and go from there?  Or "sks cleandb"?

I'm hoping to save myself a few hours of a rebuild if I get this wrong
(or recovering from filesystem snapshot).

If I don't get swamped, I'll provide a doc patch for the .pod with what
I find out from people and experimentation.

Thanks,
-Phil