sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Dump recurses to dumpsize on stack?

From: Yaron Minsky
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Dump recurses to dumpsize on stack?
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 08:42:52 -0400

Man, that's an embarrassing mistake.  (In my defense, i did write that code a long time ago.)  Kim's patch is precisely right.

2009/3/22 Kim Minh Kaplan <address@hidden>
[ apologies if you see this twice I had put a wrong address in the first one ]

Phil Pennock:

> Is it known that when you do "sks dump <N> <dir>", you end up with up to
> 10 stack frames per N, plus the calls into the DB layer, etc?
[...]
> I was suspecting db problems, and it's not.  Looks as though something
> was expecting tail recursion optimisation but not getting it.  I really
> don't know enough about programming in functional languages to look into
> this properly.  I don't even know if things like shuffling exception
> handling around would let the tail recursion optimisation kick in and
> where things like integrity of backup dumps are concerned, I play around
> less.

I highly suspect that the inside of a try block is not a tail position
and that "shuffling exception handling around" is the right thing to do
here.  Try this.

Kim Minh.