sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] [CONTRIB] sks.pod text for enabling IPv6

From: Kim Minh Kaplan
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] [CONTRIB] sks.pod text for enabling IPv6
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:37:45 +0000

Phil Pennock writes:

> On 2009-03-30 at 07:38 +0000, Kim Minh Kaplan wrote:
>> Phil Pennock writes:
>> > =head1 ENABLING IPv6
>> >
>> > This is more complicated than it should be, thanks to some limitations
>> > in the language support libraries of O'Caml.  Instead of just being able
>> > to do The Right Thing, you need to both explicitly enable IPv6 and
>> > perhaps to understand a little about how your system deals with IPv4 and
>> > IPv6 connections to an IPv6 socket.
>>
>> I think this ranting should not go into the documentation.
>
> *shrug*  You see it as a rant.  It's not, it's a plain explanation.
>
> "Why is X more complicated when done by A than it is when done by B, C
> or D?" -- a reasonable question, given that most modern software can
> just do The Right Thing, thanks to AI_ADDRCONFIG and AI_V4MAPPED for
> getaddrinfo() and IPPROTO_IPV6:IPV6_V6ONLY for setsockopt().
>
> So the answer is "Because of limitations in the language support
> libraries of O'Caml".  That's not a rant, just the truth.

I am sorry Phil, "rant" is probably not the right word: english is not
my native language.  I did not mean to imply this was not the truth.
Just that this is not the place to discuss programming problems.  We
want to explain in an easy way how to enable IPv6.  Your second
paragraph is what must appear in the doc:

    =head1 ENABLING IPv6

    To enable IPv6 explicitly list your IP addresses in C<sksconf>;
    whatever the hostname you peer under resolves to, those IP addresses
    should be listed for both C<hkp_address> and C<recon_address>.  So
    if you have the hostname C<keyserver.example.org> which resolves to
    C<192.0.2.0> and C<2001:DB8::1> then you would configure:

    =over 4

    =item Explicit IP addresses in C<sksconf>:

     hkp_address: 192.0.2.0 2001:DB8::1
     recon_address: 192.0.2.0 2001:DB8::1

That we, as engineers, have difficulties making things work correctly
and what are the best ways to solve them makes for intersting
discussions and this list is a good places to have them.

Regarding this, I once had a patch that would call Unix.getaddrinfo on
both hkp_address and recon_address but took it out because it did not
seem to add much.  In retrospect it could be useful as The Right Thing.
That way you could just say in the doc:

    =item -recon_address

    Set recon binding addresses.  Can be a list of whitespace separated
    domain names.  You should set this to your hostname.  Defaults to
    0.0.0.0.  Example:

        -recon_address keyserver.example.org

    =item -hkp_address

    Set hkp binding addresses.  Can be a list of whitespace separated
    domain names.  You should set this to your hostname.  Defaults to
    0.0.0.0.  Example:

        -hkp_address keyserver.example.org

And it would work for every address that is in the DNS.  Should I put it
back in and submit?

> But hey, you asked for documentation examples, I provided my suggested text

Yes and once again thank you for the text.

Kim Minh