sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] keys.riverwillow.net.au off-line for database upgrade

From: John Marshall
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] keys.riverwillow.net.au off-line for database upgrade
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 11:38:20 +1000

On Fri, 22 May 2009, 08:09 +1000, John Marshall wrote:

> I've just shut down the SKS db and recon servers on
> keys.riverwillow.net.au for a while.  I'm upgrading Berkeley DB.

Back on-line now.  We're now running SKS 1.1.0 with Berkeley DB 4.7.25
on FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE.

The database upgrade was from Berkeley DB 4.6.21.  The log format
changed with Berkely DB 4.7 but the database format did not.

Here's what I did:

 - Install Berkeley DB 4.7
 - Stop SKS recon server
 - Stop SKS db server
 - Archive the SKS KDB and PTree databases (db_archive 4.6)
 - Verify the SKS KDB and PTree database files (db_verify 4.6)
 - Recover the SKS KDB and PTree databases (db_recover 4.6)
 - Rebuild SKS against BDB 4.7 libraries
 - Checkpoint SKS KDB and PTree databases (db_checkpoint 4.7)
 - Start SKS db server
 - Start SKS recon server

The db_verify step wasn't essential but I wanted to be really sure that
there were no sinister inconsistencies lurking in the databases that
were going to turn around and bite me.  The db_verify of all of the SKS
database files took less than 3 hours (3GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB, SATA300)
and produced squeeky-clean results.

--
John Marshall