sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] pgp.mit.edu upgraded to SKS

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] pgp.mit.edu upgraded to SKS
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 20:44:20 -0400

On 07/02/2009 07:29 PM, Jonathan Oxer wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 18:22 -0400, David Shaw wrote:
>> On Jul 2, 2009, at 6:04 PM, Jonathon Weiss wrote:
>> I think we've reached the point that if someone is still running PKS,
>> they should either convert to something without the subkey problems,
>> or just shut down entirely.
>
> I agree. Even finding an operational PKS server is very hard now so it's
> at the point where we can pretty much consider it dead, and if anyone is
> still running PKS the onus is on them to chase SKS operators up and
> establish connections with the SKS network rather than the other way
> around. Critical mass and focus is definitely on SKS now.

While i agree with these sentiments, i'm concerned that they're being
discussed only on the sks-devel list (and therefore subject to some
flavor of confirmation bias).

I'm Cc'ing the address@hidden, which is referred to here:

  http://pks.sourceforge.net/pgp-keyserver-folk.html

even though the mailman web interface appears to be down and my request
to join failed.

In the hopes of alerting other people who might be affected by this
shift (who might want to ensure that they're mailsyncing with at least
one well-connected SKS server), I'm also Cc'ing:

 * Jonathan McDowell, author of onak (another mailsync-capable server),

 * Hironobu Suzuki, maintainer of openpksd.org (which i think also does
mailsync), and

 * V. Alex Brennan, upstream of the cryptnet keyserver, which indicates
synchronization to PKS on its homepage as well.

Anyone else who might want to know?

        --dkg