sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] pool.sks-keyservers.net DNS unresponsive?

From: Phil Pennock
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] pool.sks-keyservers.net DNS unresponsive?
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 20:31:11 -0700

On 2009-07-02 at 14:00 -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> I appear to be getting no A records for pool.sks-keyservers.net.  this
> seems like a Bad Thing.
>
> is anyone else seeing this?  it's forcing my nameservice resolution to
> fall back to IPv6, which is link-local only for a number of my machines
> which don't have connections to any of the IPv6 tunnel brokers.

I see it too.

FWIW, which isn't that much, if you want a temporary workaround you can
use keys.sks.pool.globnix.net -- however, that makes no attempt to
subset the results, so DNS will fall back to TCP.  It does not include
1.0.10 servers.  There's also keys.ipv4.sks.pool.globnix.net and
keys.ipv6.sks.pool.globnix.net.  I didn't bother coming up with nicer
names as this was just me exploring what I could do and coming up with
names which exist but aren't so likely to be memorable and detract from
the existing pools.

Regards,
-Phil